On Canada in Particular
- Juniper Glass, “Decades of Change: A Short History of International Development Organizations in Canada,” The Philanthropist: Reimagining the Nonprofit Sector, 11 May 2015.
- IDRC at 40: A Brief History. In celebration of 40 years of research for development, IDRC is pleased to announce the publication of IDRC at 40: A Brief History.
- Radio program, Ideas, “Ideas from the Trenches – Just Trying to Help“, cbc, 15 September 2015, 55 minutes. SSHRC Storyteller winner.
- Austin, Alvyn. Saving China : Canadian Missionaries in the Middle Kingdom, 1888-1959 (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1986) [Madokoro: “I refer regularly to ..”]
- Compton Brouwer, Ruth. “When missions became development: ironies of ‘NGOization’ in mainstream Canadian churches in the 1960s, “Canadian Historical Review, 12/2010, Volume 91, Issue 4. [Madokoro: “essential read”]
- Ermisch, Marie-Luise, “Report Back: Voluntary Action History Society Fifth International Conference, University of Huddersfield, 10–12 July 2013,” History Workshop, 77 (Spring 2014) , p. 331-337.
- “On a Mission“, Special Issue of Canada’s History on Canadian International Aid, March 2012. [Marshall]
- Roberts, CWJ, “Sino-Canadian Military Competition and Cooperation in Africa,” China and Canada in Africa: Interests, Strategies and African Perspectives, ed. Andy Knight and Gordon Houldon (Farnham: Ashgate, forthcoming).
- Webster, David
- Fire and the Full Moon: Canada and Indonesia in a Decolonizing World(UBC Press, 2009);
- “Development Advisors in a Time of Cold War and Decolonization: The UN Technical Assistance Administration, 1950-1959,” Journal of Global History 6 no. 2 (2011): 249-272;
- “Modern Missionaries: Canadian Postwar Technical Assistance Advisors in Southeast Asia,” Journal of the Canadian Historical Association 20 no. 2 (2009): 86-111.
- Research Guide of the International Committee of the Red Cross.
- Online Atlas on the History of Humanitarian Rights, edited by Fabian Klose, Marc Palen, Johannes Paulmann, and Andrew Thompson, December 2015, http://nbn-resolving.org/urn:nbn:de:0159-2016090508 (06/11/2016). See also, http://wiki.ieg-mainz.de/ghra/index.php?title=Project:About
- Fieldston, Sara. Raising the World: Child Welfare in the American Century. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2015.
- Le Mouvement Social, Avril 2009, numéro spécial sur “L’humanitaire aux XIXe et XXe siècles”.
- Speaking Out Case Studies by Doctors Without Borders: 11 remarkable studies “to provide the movement with reference documents on “temoignage”/”advocacy”. These documents are designed to be straightforward and accessible to all and to help volunteers understand and adopt the organization’s culture of speaking out on issues.” [thanks to K. O’Sullivan for the reference -Nov. 2014]
- “L’humanitaire: Au delà de l’urgence”, special issue of Vacarme, (France) 1997. [An early reflection on dilemmas and words very worth reading, With an interview of Rony Brauman, thanks to E. Davey’s Tweet for the reference].
- Hodge, Joseph Morgan. “Writing the History of Development (Part 1: the First Wave).” Humanity Journal 6, no. 3 (2016), http://humanityjournal.org/issue6-3/writing-the-history-of-development-part-1-the-first-wave/
- Hodge, Joseph Morgan. “Writing the History of Development (Part 2: Longer, Deeper, Wider).” Humanity Journal 7, no. 1 (2016), http://humanityjournal.org/issue7-1/writing-the-history-of-development-part-2-longer-deeper-wider/
- Jones, Andrew (supervised by Matthew Hilton, knows Kevin O’Sullivan) – BRITISH HUMANITARIAN NGOs AND THE DISASTER RELIEF INDUSTRY, 1942-1985 (defended July 2014) – [Ermisch]
- Klose, Fabian, ed. The Emergence of Humanitarian Intervention: Ideas and Practice from the Nineteenth Century to Present. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2016.
- Paulmann, Johannes. “Conjunctures in the History of International Humanitarian Aid During the Twentieth Century.” Humanity: An International Journal of Human Rights, Humanitarianism, and Development 4, no. 2 (2013): 215-38.[Ermisch: A good teaching article”]http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/humanity/v004/4.2.paulmann.pdf
- Rahman, Babu M., ‘Constructing Humanitarianism: An investigation into Oxfam’s changing humanitarian culture, 1942-1994’ (PhD thesis: University of Wales, 1998) [Ermisch]
- Roberts, CWJ, “The Other Resource Curse: Extractives as Development Panacea,” Cambridge Review of International Affairs 28, no. 2 (2015): 283-307.
- Roberts, CWJ, Commissioned report for North-South Institute (Tim Shaw and Hany Besada, eds.), “Extractive Sector Regulations in Africa: Old practices, and new models for change,” as part of “Governing Natural Resources for Africa’s Development” theme, plus conference participation (Ottawa, May 2013): (a short policy version released May 2014 ).
- Roberts, CWJ, “Mali’s Post-Crisis Crisis,” Embassy Newspaper (Ottawa, 29 May 2013).
- Roberts, CWJ, Commissioned Report by Canadian Defence and Foreign Affairs Institute on (mining) investment outlook for Burkina Faso and Mali (Published April 2013).
- Roberts, CWJ, “What’s at stake in Mali?” Embassy Newspaper (online daily update), 10 January 2013.
- Roberts, CWJ, “China and Canada in Africa” (Ottawa, 20-21 September 2012) Conference Summary Report, with Rob MacIntosh (October 2012).
- Roberts, CWJ, “Nexen deal reflects new global division of labour,” Embassy Newspaper (Ottawa), 1 August 2012.
- Roberts, CWJ, “Not just another coup in Mali,” Embassy Newspaper (Ottawa), 28 March 2012.
- Roberts, CWJ, “Canada should engage China via Africa,” Embassy Newspaper (Ottawa), 29 February 2012.
- Roberts, CWJ,”Canada, Africa, and the UN: Misreading the importance of the Africa relationship,” Vanguard Magazine (December 2010-January 2011, Ottawa).
- Roberts, CWJ, “Changing the Game: The Chinese approach to African Development” Vanguard Magazine, May-June 2008.
- Roberts, CWJ, “Africa-Stan: Afghanistan’s Lessons for a whole-of-Canada Africa strategy,” Vanguard Magazine, Jan-Feb 2008.
Leave a Reply